The Moon Ranger and I will be headed shortly to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, GA. We will both be attending the Charity Star Party at the Emory University Math & Science Center tomorrow night, and we will both be participating in the Parsec Awards ceremony late Saturday afternoon. In addition, my schedule includes:
- Title: These are the ways the world will end…
Time: Sat 11:30 am Location: 207 / 206 / 205 – Hilton (Length: 1)
Description: Our panel tears apart the asteroid apocalypse theory, rips into the latest “world enders”, and answers questions. We’re probably safe (for now).
- Title: XMRV, CFS, and the Internet: How Patient Communities Are Changing Medicine
Time: Sun 11:30 am Location: 201 – Hilton (Length: 1)
Description: How the Internet and patient advocacy is changing research and medicine, using the XMRV and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome controversy as a case study.
- Title: KILLER STAPH OF DEADLY DOOM!!!
Time: Sun 07:00 pm Location: 202 – Hilton (Length: 1)
Moderator / MC for panel
Description: Terrifying developments! New strains jumping from livestock to humans! Antibiotics that don’t work! But don’t panic – yet.
Laura will be involved in:
- Title: LandSat – The Origins of Earth Imaging
Time: Sun 04:00 pm Location: 203 – Hilton (Length: 1)
Description: Before Google Earth or Mapquest , the LandSat program was delivering images of Earth & it continues to be a valuable scientific resource.
- Title: I Work in the Space Industry, But NOT for NASA!
Time: Sun 08:30 pm Location: 203 – Hilton (Length: 1)
Description: You’ve always dreamed of working in the space industry but NASA’s not your thing. We’ve got the people to tell you how.
- Additionally, Laura is assembling a so-fresh-it’s-not-on-the-schedule panel on Friday at 4pm that will spotlight the James Webb Space Telescope, which will focus on the importance of the mission as well as the plethora of reasons why a loss of funding for the project would be both an epic loss to science and an incredibly bad idea. Co-panelists will include Dr. Pamela Gay, and possibly another special guest.
Apart from these, I will be otherwise hanging about the science and podcasting tracks, and possibly be doing some Bad Doctoring for The Secret Lair. As usual, I will be posting occasional pithy observations, and if you are going, I look forward to seeing you there!