No, I haven’t forgotten about a RavenCon recap. There were several requests for me to make my presentation on “The New Red Deaths” available, which I intend to do once I get the citations in order, and the recap shall wait for that to be completed.
That noted, Balticon 42 starts in just a few short days! The new media track has grown once again this year, to be even more of a lumbering Elder God-spawn of a beast, which is definitely a good thing. Also in the “good things” category, the science track has also expanded to include two new members – Laura and myself! Clearly, you now have no arguable reason not to stop by the Marriott Hunt Valley Inn if you are in the Baltimore area this weekend.
Laura will be rocking out with a couple of space related talks, among other things. As to my own schedule:
- Meet the Scientists Social (Friday, 10pm, Salon A) – Really, there’s got to be a better title for this informal gathering. That said, there’s a damn fine mix of science-y types, from a paleontologist to a local mechanic who mods vehicles (including the Toyota Prius) to run completely on battery power, so the combination of characters and conversation is sure to entertain. And there’s always the Sexy Women In Sci-Fi panel (including Laura, for her “obviously” expert opinion – 11pm, Garden), or the 80’s Party/New Media Meet and Greet (11pm, Chesapeake Suite) to escape to, if things are slow… 😉
- Live! Takeover! Audio Drama (Saturday, 1pm, Belmont) – This is the live debut of the first two episodes of Mur Lafferty‘s new audio drama. What is it about, you ask? Check out a familiarly-voiced promo (guess who the other voice is there for bonus XP) and the freshly-launched website for details. I have the pleasure of voicing Phil, the boss. He cares. Really.
- Infectious Diseases (Sunday, 4pm, Salon A) – I need your help with this one, people. See that title? It’s a bit… vague. So here’s a question, for anyone interested and willing to answer – what should I talk about? Horrible emerging infectious diseases? A follow-up to my Red Deaths exploration? Or, should I just take the plunge and go with all things SYPHILIS? Let me know!
- Live! Mr. Adventure (Sunday, 8pm, Chesapeake Suite) – It’s the next episode after the live RavenCon recording! The dastardly villain I’m voicing, Michael Aztec, is setting his evil master plan into motion. What will our heroes do?!?
- Video Podcasting 102: What’s Out There (Sunday, 10pm, Chesapeake Suite) – I’m on this panel because I am a selective consumer of video podcasts. Or maybe, because I’m a clown and there to entertain. Yup. I’m betting on the latter.
It’s going to be a brilliant time – join us if you can! And, let me know – what infectious thing should I talk about?